|The Scott Block on the northwest corner of 10th and State Street in Erie, PA.|
The W. T. Grant Company moved into the Scott Block in 1924, holding its grand opening on November 8, 1924. Grant's leased all five floors of the building. The facade was green Vermont marble and burnished copper. The building was 62' wide on the State Street side and 142' deep along West 10th Street.
"One side of the store is also a great row of show windows, giving the store one of the largest display areas in Erie. Polished copper edging on the windows, lavish lighting effects and the brilliant gilt sign of the W. T. Grant Company make this front one of the brightest in the city...Its new highly polished walnut fixtures, surmounted by sparkling plate glass bins in which the merchandise has been neatly laid out...Above the shelving the walls are finished in cream color with a panel effect, the ceiling is snowy white...The wide and easy stairway leads to the lower sales room...The offices are located on a mezzanine across the rear of the main floor so situated that the entire floor can be supervised from the office." -Erie Dispatch-Herald, November 7, 1924.
Grant's moved into the Scott Block after vacating its original store at 909 State Street. The building was previously occupied by the Warner Bros. Dry Goods store The grand opening of this store, number 24 in the Grant's chain, took place on April 22, 1916. The John Scarlett Company was located at 909 State before Grant's.
Several surrounding businesses were damaged by the Grant's fire, including Pulakos confectioners at 926 State Street and the Strand Theater at 922 State Street. The Scott Block was rebuilt with a different style roof; the building was remodeled once again in the mid-fifties, when blue and white porcelain panels were used to cover the facade. The Scott block was demolished in 1969.
Grant's moved to Peach Street after it left the Scott Block at 928-932 State Street.
Here is another view of the old Scott Block, looking east from 10th and Peach Street
Enjoy more facts, photos and Erie memorabilia at: Old Time Erie