Sunday, December 8, 2013

Big Fish Drive Inn at Peninsula


Today I'm going to answer two requests that I recently got via e-mail:

"Can you send me a picture and some info about the Big fish restaurant on Peninsula Drive from back in the 40's and 50's" When I was a kid we pass it on the way to the beach. My mom and I took the bus from Wesleyville and had something to eat in the late 40's. The whole front of the place was shaped & painted like a fish only BIG. I was telling my daughter and granddaughters about it."

"I'm at work in southern California and just found out about your website. So happy!!! Grew up in Erie in the 50's and 60's. I visited there last summer and loved seeing all the old favorite spots. This summer I was telling my kids and family about the 'Big Fish,' a huge wooden structure in the shape of a fish that was in front of a restaurant on the corner of Peninsula Drive at the entrance to the beach. I Googled it and couldn't find where the Erie Times new or anyone had any pictures of it. Do you have any?...or could you put it out on your blog in case some out there has an old photo?"

Jerry Skrypczak (co-author of Fortune and Fury, a history of commercial fishing in Erie) was kind enough to send a postcard of the Big Fish. I bet there are a lot of tourists who spent their summer vacation visiting Presque Isle State Park that would remember this place. Oh, Steve and Pat, now your kids won't think there was something fishy about your stories. 

Click here to share your story about The Big Fish


Enjoy more memories of Erie, PA at: Old Time Erie

1 comment:

  1. Debbie -- Thank you for the picture of the Big Fish restaurant.

    Steve & Lynda Lloyd family

    ReplyDelete