Sunday, October 13, 2013

Woolworth's and Kresge's on State

Classic Downtown Erie. This looks like a scene that Tom Hanks would have used in the move "That Thing You Do." This is the west side of State Street. Woolworth's was located at 818 State, between 8th and 9th St. Kresge's was on the southwest corner of 9th and State, and Murphy's was to the south of Kresge. The five and dime stores attracted tons of shoppers, old and young. Woolworth's had a lunch counter where you could get a cup of coffee, a burger and fries, a milkshake or a cherry phosphate. The little kids thought it was fun to spin around on the floor mounted stools until their mother gave them "the look" and they stopped misbehaving immediately. Ahh, the good old days.

Click here to share your memories of Woolworth's and Kresge's.

Enjoy more fun facts about the history of Erie, Pennsylvania at: Old Time Erie

6 comments:

  1. These are just great memories of my home town. Keep up the great blog work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife worked in Woolworth's for four years from 1956 through 1960 - She quit to move to Washington DC when I took a job there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woolworth's had Aretha Franklin's "Lady Soul" album in the wrong section back in 1968. Although it was her latest album, it was in the "sale" section. What a bargain I got for what turned out to be one of her best albums. Of course, I still have it.
    I also remember the "live demonstrations" One that I remember in particular was a man selling "gravity pens." Turned upside down, the point would be exposed. Turned again, and it would retract. No clicking. It was a gold color and very sleek looking. Hesitant at first, I ended up spending the dollar or two for it. It worked for a while and then quit.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ate lunch at both often during the 60s when I worked near downtown.

    God bless.

    RB
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two "5 and 10" memories from the mid '40s: (1) at one a demonstrator showing the amazing pen that could write under water (the first ballpoints). (2) at the Woolworth's lunch counter they had a "special" -- all the buttermilk you could drink for 10 cents. 3 or 4 of us 11- or 12-year olds decided to have a contest. The cups were the cone-shaped paper ones nestled in a holder. I had 10, and I lost. From there we went to the lobby of the YMCA and just sat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In 1965 we moved to the "outskirts" of Erie after living at 23rd and Wayne St. A trip to downtown for me was a bus ride and a chance to feel so "grown up" and on my own. My brother was 11 years younger than I and I would take him on the bus, see a Disney movie at the Warner and treat him to a soda at the Woolworth's lunch counter. In the winter it was hot chocolate and a grilled cheese sandwich. (and a trip to see Santa at the Boston Store). He is now 53 and I am 64. Recently he reminded me of those trips and told me just how much he enjoyed them. I have a soft spot for Woolworth's as my mom worked at the store in Perry Plaza. Miss them A LOT!

    ReplyDelete