Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hammermill Bird's Eye View

Bird's Eye View of Hammermill Paper Co. from a linen card.
Just dropping a quick note to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you. I decided to research my Irish ancestors on St. Patrick's Day and discovered that my great-great-great grandfather, Patrick F. Donnelly, was a veteran of the Civil War! Having survived that harrowing experience, he was one of 17 men who were killed in an explosion in a coal mine in Clinton County, Pennsylvania in November of 1888. So, you can see why I have been neglecting my Old Time Erie duties as of late. 

As I ease back into a routine, I thought you might enjoy a bird's eye view of the Hammermill Paper Company on East Lake Road in Erie, PA. The plant was purchased by International Paper and, as was the fate with many industries in the region, no longer exists.

Stay tuned for more historical facts and old photos of Erie, PA following this brief intermission.

1 comment:

  1. my grandfather work ther in the lab he also was a phamatict at the drug store that was somewere in the aria of the the erir history museum his dad was on the us wolfavrin but it was before it was called a woleaviren i belive when the great battle of lake erie was going on

    ReplyDelete