|Old Time Erie postcard contributed by Tom DiLuzio.|
"The building is pressed brick, with stone, iron and terra cotta towers at each corner and in the center of the north and south fronts. The structure is in the form of a hollow square, thus securing an abundance of light and air to every room in the house, which is traversed by broad corridors running the entire length and breadth. Splendid staircases connect the various stories, and a fine passenger and baggage elevator enables guests to reach their rooms quickly and with little exertion.
The first floor is laid in marble tiles, and comprises the spacious office, barroom, wine-room, barber shop, baggage room, etc., all elegantly finished in costly woods. On the second floor are the grand dining room, 80x120', reading and writing room facing French street and the park, 40x60', reception room, general parlor, ladies' parlor, sample rooms for traveling salesmen, and several beautiful suites of rooms for the use of guests.
The appointments as regards furniture, carpets, hangings and decorations are of the most luxurious kind, each room or suite of rooms being provided with toilet closet, bath, bells, gas-lights and the neatest, daintiest and most refreshing beds that ever invited the weary wayfarer to repose.
The dining room with its array of spotless table linen, glittering glass, crystal and silver, and battalion of attentive colored waiters, is another most attractive feature, and especially worthy of the epicure's attention, and every substantial and delicacy obtainable being provided in profusion to tempt the appetite and satiate the inner man. All servants are in livery, and the promptitude and reliability of waiters, bell boys and all employed about the hostelry would satisfy the most exacting."
The description above was written in 1888. Sounds like we had our own Downton Abbey in Downtown Erie. The Reed House was demolished in 1933. A parking lot now occupies this site.
Enjoy more historical facts and photos of Erie, Pennsylvania at: Old Time Erie