The Downing Building was a fixture in Downtown Erie from the time it was built in 1883 until it was demolished in the early sixties. This once grand structure sat on the northwest corner of 9th and Peach St. and was built in 1883 by Jerome F. Downing.
This photo was taken in the early sixties, and shows the Peach Street side of the building. The entrance to the Office Bar & Restaurant hangs from the northeast corner, and a political campaign sign for Judge Lindley R. McClelland is on the north side.
The Fabric Shop and the Christian Science Reading Room were in a separate building to the north of the Downing Building.
Here's a sketch of the Downing Building in the late 1880s.
Enjoy more historic facts and photos of Erie, PA at: Old Time Erie