The Ariel Building sat on the northeast corner of 8th and State Street in Erie, PA. At ten stories high, this building towered above others in the same block. It was completed in 1917 and stood for a mere 53 years before falling victim to the wrecking ball. Pittsburgh architects Arlen & Harlow designed this building, which was just shy of 150 feet, and very narrow.
The Erie Lighting Company occupied the lobby and second floor of the Ariel Bldg. when this photo was taken in 1924. Real estate agents Harper & Russell had an office on the third floor. Architect C. Paxton Cody was on the fourth floor. Attorney Isador Sobel had offices on the seventh floor. Andrews Land Company was on the eighth floor and attorney John Rilling was on the tenth floor.
The number of floors is a little bit misleading, because there was a basement, a lobby and a mezzanine under the second floor. By 1968, about half of the offices were vacant.
The Ariel Building was within walking distance of the federal courthouse and the Erie County Courthouse, making it the ideal location for attorneys and real estate agents.
This building was torn down in 1970. Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield at 717 State Street in Erie, Pennsylvania currently occupies this site.
Click here for more facts and photos of Old Time Erie