The Perry Monument at Presque Isle State Park was dedicated on September 10, 1926, the 113th anniversary of the Battle of Lake Erie. "The dedication services and unveiling which were under the direction of Major William Spencer were brief and simple. Less than 200 people were in attendance, the Erie County Historical society being largely represented."-Erie Daily Times, Sept. 11, 1926.
The Perry Memorial was designed by architects Fuller and Stickle in honor of Oliver Hazard Perry. The monument cost $45,069 and was built by the Continental Construction Co. of Erie, PA. It was 101 feet above lake level and can be seen from the bluff, the bayfront and Horseshoe Pond. This is a popular spot for tourists to visit when they go to the beach or drive around the Peninsula on Fisher Drive.
Enjoy more historic facts and photos of Erie, PA at: oldtimeerie.blogspot.com