This majestic house at 124 East 8th Street in Erie, PA was originally the home and office of Dr. Charles Brandes. Dr. Brandes died in 1899 at the ripe old age of 81 years; his wife died in 1905. The Shrine Club acquired the house after her death and converted it into a club.
"Early in 1908 the club purchased the fine semi-modern residence of the late Dr. Brandes on East Eighth street. Possession was taken immediately and in feverish haste the necessary alterations were undertaken, for it was desired to have it in readiness for the fifty-fifth annual conclave of the Grand Commandery of Knights Templar of Pennsylvania, to be held in Erie during the last week in May, 1908. It was completed in time and its formal opening was a feature of that important Masonic event."-Twentieth Century History of Erie County, PA by John Miller.
The old Shriners' Club shown in the postcard above was destroyed by fire on February 12, 1980. None of the houses shown in the postcard exist today. The site was a surface parking lot for many years. A parking garage is currently under construction on this lot, which is across the street from the Erie Insurance Arena (formerly the Erie Civic Center Tullio Arena). The Zem Zem Shrine then moved from East 8th Street to a much larger facility on West 38th Street in Millcreek Township.
Please consider donating to the Shriners Hospital for Children- Erie: http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/en/Hospitals/Locations/Erie.aspx
Enjoy more historical facts and photos of Erie, PA at: oldtimeerie.blogspot.com