|Old Time Erie: East High School Class of '69.|
Here is a brief history of East High School as it appeared in the 1969 Sunrise yearbook:
"Fifty years ago the laying of a cornerstone signaled the beginning of a new educational era on the east side of Erie. East High School opened its doors for the first time to students.
Since 1919, many changes have occurred. Fifty years ago the enrollment of East High was approximately 1000 students in four grades. We have nearly doubled that number in 1969. A graduate returning to East High School in the spring would be pleased to see the trees and shrubs in bloom. He would also notice the physical changes in the building itself because of additional classrooms, new heating, fire enclosures, and new furnishings.
New courses have also been added to the curriculum with the passage of years. Some of them are: honors and advanced placement history, English, biology and mathematics. Vocational courses in business, merchandising and home economics have been reintroduced. The courses of study have kept pace with new ideas in science.
Seven principals have guided East High throughout these fifty years. They are: John Watson Ray, Mr. C. W. McNary, E. Edwin Coon, Harold D. Leberman, Edward R. Abramoski, Henry M. Narducci and our present principal, Miss Viola E. Andrews."
Miss Andrews was principal of East High from 1968 to 1982. She was followed by John Danowski (1982-88 and 1989-93), Rupert Stadtmiller and Helen Jackson.The school colors are scarlet and gray.
The original East High School, shown in the photo above, was demolished. Governor Tom Ridge and Al Roker (from NBC's Today Show) helped dedicate the new East High School in February of 1999.
Enjoy more historical facts and photos of Erie, Pennsylvania at: Old Time Erie