Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Old Custom House on State Street, Erie PA

Old Custom House photo courtesy of Tom DiLuzio.
The Old Custom House, the current home of the Erie Art Museum, opened in 1838 as the Erie branch of the Bank of United States. This photo, which was taken around 1922, shows the Custom House at 415 State Street in Erie, PA. This building was designed by William Kelley of Philadelphia, PA. It was sold to the U.S. government in 1849. The left side was used as a post office for a time. Military veterans in the Grand Army of the Republic met in the Custom House after the post office relocated to a new building.

Fans of Ace Frehley had premium spots on the Custom House stairs on when Ace headlined Celebrate Erie on August 18, 2012. The stage was set up in the middle of State Street just north of this shot. Mayor Joe Sinnott joined Ace on stage to sing "New York Groove."

The building on the right, the old Cashier's House at 419 State Street, was occupied by the Erie Drug Company when this photograph was taken. Emmett D. Hurley was the president of Erie Drug Co., and William Webster was manager of this wholesale drug company. Two sets of trolley tracks run in the center of State Street in the foreground of this picture.

The building on the left, behind the Old Custom House, was occupied by the Lawrence Welding & Blacksmith Company at 11 East 4th Street. The business was owned by Peter Lawrence.

Enjoy more Erie, PA facts and photos at:

No comments:

Post a Comment