Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Loblaws 6th and East Ave circa 1935 Erie PA

-newspaper clipping of Loblaws circa 1935.
When I think of Loblaws, I remember big supermarkets spread out around Erie. Judging by this picture, it looks like the Loblaw chain had humble beginnings. The store shown here was located at 528 East Avenue. It had been the Fred Eisert grocery in the 1920s.

This building no longer exists. This stretch of East Avenue, which was across the street from Wayne School, became part of the street when East Lake Road was re-alligned to connect with East 6th Street.

Loblaw had thirteen stores in Erie County, PA in 1974. http://oldtimeerie.blogspot.com/2012/09/loblaws-had-13-erie-pa-grocery-stores.html

1 comment:

  1. What's up? This pic is in the Spirit of Erie Souvenir Program. I thought I saw it before. I used to live in Erie and I love the old photos.

    ReplyDelete