|Old Time Erie Civil War statue near 6th and Peach circa 1875.|
Perry Square was named for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, a hero of the War of 1812. Peach Street was a dirt road when this photo was taken. The fence, gaslight and water fountain shown in this picture no longer exist. The monument, however, still stands; it is within walking distance from City Hall, the Erie County Courthouse and the Federal Courthouse.
Enjoy more facts and pictures of historic Erie, Pennsylvania at: Old Time Erie