Saturday, August 18, 2012
Wallace Bros. Circus 26th and Pittsburgh Ave 1943 Erie PA
This three-ring affair was billed as 100% American Circus and was twice its normal size. One of the added attractions was Mrs. Tom Mix and her cowboys and cowgirls. The circus poster featured a pair of tigers.
Billboard magazine ran a teaser for the show in its May 1, 1943 issue: "The choice in town circus lots fell to the plough, the victory gardener and national defense. Not withstanding, Wallace Bros. Circus will play here May 18 on the Pittsburgh Avenue grounds, home of the former Erie fair and regular carnival grounds. County Commissioner Dell Darling, Erie's No. 1 fan, announced that the Ringling show will not be in this season, but that Cole Bros. may appear later. Regular city transportation is available to the Pittsburgh lot."
The Pittsburgh Avenue site had direct access to the railroad. It encompasses the current site of Champion Ford, which was the former location of Super Duper West.
Racing events were held on this location in 1949, when it was called Sportsman's Field: http://oldtimeerie.blogspot.com/2012/08/sportsmens-field-car-races-26th-and.html