Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cathay House Chinese Food West 7th Street Erie PA

Ad from 1959 GenTel phonebook on left; photo on right by Chester Wasielewski ©Debbi Lyon 2012.
The Cathay House was one of the few places to get Chinese food in Erie, Pennsylvania in the late fifties. The restaurant was located at 12 West 7th St. and was open seven days a week. You could dine in or order a take-out meal. Chow Mein was a house specialty. This building was torn down to make way for the new Erie City Hall.

2 comments:

  1. Mom used to take me here for lunch in the way back, I think 1955 (and before)when she went dress shopping and sometimes a medical appointment somewhere. I can't remember why but the food was excellent and as the song goes, Unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At age of about 14 or so I used to paint house addresses on curbs with a friend and the $ earned took us to Cathay House for dinner and the Warner Theatre for a movie. It drove my dad nuts that I spent every dime I earned...

    Dick Warneka
    Scottsdale Az Laughlin NV and Coronado CA

    ReplyDelete