Sunday, May 27, 2012

WJET-AM 1400 Erie, PA Surveys 1975 and 1977

WJET-AM 1400 Surveys 1975 and 1977

WJET-AM 1400 Top 40 survey from Jan. 29, 1975, "Lady" by Styx, and survey from July 28, 1977.

When I was a kid, I was glued to my little transistor radio. It was red, white & blue and it was tuned to WJET-AM 1400. With the white earplug that only went in one ear. I was nine and I had already outgrown the records that I used to cut off of cereal boxes, like "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies, or "Bare Necessities" from Jungle Book. I had new, real records to wear out on my little record player, specifically "Lady" by Styx, which was #11 on the chart for the week of Jan. 29, 1975. This was in the days before I had a tape recorder, so I had to wait for the actual song to play on the radio, which meant I had to call the radio station to request the song. And I had to call a lot. (Luckily, this was before caller I.D.) 

I had a lot of favorites. Just ask my sister. My favorites became her favorites, like it or not. I was older than her. So she learned to love "The Night Chicago Died" and "Hooked on a Feeling," (the ooga-chaka version). You get the picture. So, my favorites from the Jan. 29, 1975 survey include "Don't Call Us" by Sugarloaf, "Chevy Van" by Sammy Johns and "Bungle in the Jungle" by Jethro Tull. 

Moving forward, to the survey on the right from July 28, 1977, another of my all-time favorite songs; "Strawberry Letter 23" by the Brothers Johnson. "How Much Love," "Barracuda," "Handy Man," "Don't Stop," "Christine Sixteen," "High School Dance," "Jet Airliner," "Boogie Nights." 

The absolute best thing about this era? We moved to 22nd and Ash, which means I was just a few blocks away from 1635 Ash Street...the home of WJET!!!! OMG!!!! I don't know how many times I walked by that station trying to get a glimpse of the D.J. And I would actually go inside the studio once a week to get the new survey. And then high-tail it out of there.  

I eventually built up the courage to go in the studio, while the D.J. was on the air...But that's another story for another day. You can read about it here: http://oldtimeerie.blogspot.com/2012/07/i-wanna-rock-debbis-fcc-radio-license.html

2 comments:

  1. Pop music was significant in this era. In the 80's the record companies destroyed the music business...but don't get me started.

    ReplyDelete