Monday, May 7, 2012

School Girl's Job Hunt

Cecelia's Letter to Erie Dry Goods Co., 2/9/1928

I just found a composition book used by my grandmother, Cecelia Rutkowski, while she was a student in the eighth grade at St. Stanislaus School on East 12th Street in Erie, PA. She was fourteen years old in 1928 and lived at 656 East 14th Street, just a couple of blocks from the school. She wrote letters to the Erie Dry Goods Company, Lincoln Bank of Erie (on 12th and Parade), the Boston Store and the Erie County Electric Company. I'm not sure if she was able to get a job at any of the places she wrote to. It's possible that these letters were practice for English class.

The letter states:
Gentlemen: Please consider me for the position mentioned in the enclosed advertisement from this Morning's Times. Though only fourteen years of age, I am large and strong and will complete the work of the eight grade in the St. Stanislaus School.

Rev. Father W. J. Stanczak, my principal can tell you of my character and fitness for this position.
Sincerely,
Cecelia Rutkowska

Enjoy more facts and photos of Erie, PA at: Old Time Erie


No comments:

Post a Comment